Saturday, November 9, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles


Good Saturday to you from our part of the world where winter has arrived too early.  We thought we had escaped the snow that tracked more north, but Wednesday afternoon we got a good inch on the ground and woke up Thursday to a balmy 4 degrees.  Seriously.  Not ready for this.  Actually never ready for winter.  How we would love to be in Arizona during the winter months!  But here we are, so I will say that the trees look pretty coated in the white stuff.  And our house stays warm with an efficient furnace and gas fireplace.  Our car blesses us with heated seats that keep us toasty warm.  Definitely lots to be thankful for as winter settles in too early this year.

**In full disclosure, I have written much of this blog post On Thursday knowing the aftermath of chemo would be coming.  I am glad I did as this time around the chemo crap storm came early!

Thursday we cooked up some homemade chicken veggie soup to tide us over the weekend.  Friday was chemo day which means I will be laying low for awhile.  Saturday will be our warmest day in the next couple of weeks so Joel is planning to put up Christmas lights outside on the garage roof and porch roof and railings.  I would love to keep them up until Spring but the association would frown upon that I expect.  I have found myself pulled in to the Hallmark Christmas movies on the Hallmark and Hallmark mystery channels.  Our decorations will not be out until after Thanksgiving though!  Nor the Christmas music.  But the day after?  Probably!'''

Did you hear about the 6 year old boy who have his teacher $15 of his birthday money?  He wrote here a note that said he knew teachers did not get paid enough and he wanted to help her out!  She did not accept the money but thanked him for his kindness.  His mom found out about it when she saw the note in his backpack.....and she posted it online.  I just love stories where the hearts of children are so giving.  We could all learn a lesson from this little 6 year old "teacher" in his own right.

It is Veteran's Day soon and it always brings to mind the eight years Joel served in the Air Force.  He received his draft notice when we graduated from Bible college, so decided to enlist in the Air Force so he would not be expected to carry a gun and use it.  He grew up with a gun in his hand and was an expert in marksmanship they told him, but he did not want to be that expert on the front lines.  We were married in June and he went off to basic training in early October.  In eight years we lived in Illinois, New Mexico, Utah, Minnesota and The Philippine Islands, meeting some wonderful people and experiencing some amazing things.  We found those eight years to greatly shape and impact our lives.  So thankful and proud of Joel's service and for ALL who serve/served. 

Speaking of thankful, I am giving thanks for my last chemo treatment.  I rang the chimes when it was done, the sweet chemo nurses clapped and hugged us and as I told them, we will miss all of you, but hope we don't have to see you again in this place!  Also so thankful for a clean house, Joel's endless support, the prayers of others, and the privilege to pray for others.  For visual encounters with God, for His faithfulness and persistence in sending me new and continual reminders that He fights for me...for all of us on our journeys.  Grateful for a bowl full of colorful leaves that graces our table, for a TV with Hallmark movies, for books at my fingertips.

Speaking of books,  I am reading a light mystery by Laurien Barenson and a new book written by Ana Werner (and Larry Sparks) called, "Accessing the Greater Glory".  One is light reading, the other stretching my faith.  Both necessary.  What are you reading?






No comments: