Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Spiritual Blinders


Have you ever seen a horse with blinders on?  They are worn so that they are not frightened by what is beside or behind them.  The blinders keep the horse moving forward without incident and with the right perspective.  No panicky horses.  Lately I feel like I need those blinders .....just need to keep my eyes focused on moving forward.  Just stay focused on Jesus.......just keep walking forward one step at a time.....no worry.....no panic setting in.

It has been just over a year since this journey began.  It is easy for me to slip back to those early months and the turbulence involved in every test, every report, and what seemed like all bad news.  It shook our world and it can still bring about a physical response if I go back and think about all of it.  Like Lot's wife in the Bible, I want to look back over my shoulder, but I know that it will not be helpful.  I won't turn into a pillar of salt, but the distractions and emotions wrapped up in the past year can keep me frozen in place.  Especially since this November is filled with appointments and tests.  Chemo will be done after this Friday, and  I move on to the next phase......radiation.  Before that happens there are tests, a port removal, a visit to the urologist and dermatologist, and.......yeah......"Distractions!" Give me those blinders!  I need a new perspective.

So a horse with blinders, we know it is for its own good.  The blinders keep the horse steady, focused, and calm as it does the job set before him. Makes sense.

Makes sense for us too.  There are times in all our lives when we need to intentionally focus, stay steady and calm and just "do the job" set before us.  Keeping our eyes upon Jesus and His plan gives us the best perspective, and is a good way to accomplish all those things.  Of course blinders are not literally what we need, but knowing God is guiding us through life keeps us calm and less distracted by the world around us.  There are benefits to having spiritual blinders!

"Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light unto my path."

Ps. 119:105  NLT



1 comment:

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, You certainly have been on a rollercoaster journey this last year and even before that. Praying for you dear one.
Noreen