Saturday, November 23, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles


Good Saturday to you from our corner of Iowa where warmer temps are once again keeping winter at bay.  Yay!  So far we have had rain only, although they keep talking about this big storm that may or may not hit.  Okay, then.  It must be the week of Thanksgiving!  Always snow somewhere causing delays.

 I remember one Thanksgiving decades ago when we were supposed to head north from our place in central MN to spend the day with Joel's family.  We got a huge snow storm and could not go anywhere.  We also did not have any food to prepare a Thanksgiving meal at home!  We were rescued when Joel's secretary at the time invited all of us to her home for the meal......so very nice!  Another time in the Philippines a typhoon came through and knocked out our electricity.  At the same time our propane ran dry and so we sat on Thanksgiving day without electricity, eating a meal of half cooked turkey, jello, and potato chips!  And of course pie.  We will spend a quiet Thanksgiving here, planning on most of the usual food choices,  but the number one priority for us will be pie.  Joel's choice is pumpkin and mine is sweet potato.  My pie crust is made with almond flour......Joel's is a Pillsbury Crust!

It is very strange, but since the chemo treatments, I have craved food I have not eaten in years!  I have a very limited diet, which eliminates sugar, most grains, and processed foods.  I have been craving tomato soup and grilled cheese, caramel rolls, old fashioned glazed donuts like Target's original bakery had years ago, and lately fried chicken!  I have not eaten oil laden fried food for decades.........SO I had this hair brain idea to make fried chicken using olive oil and almond flour for a crust.  I am still weak and fatigued, so Joel helped me out.  It turned out terrible.  Joel, who eats anything, said it tasted bad........and made the whole house smell of fried oil!  We have had a good laugh over it.  I certainly lost my taste for it as soon as I ate a bite.  I am not sure why the chemo has triggered old taste buds, but I am trying to ignore them!  Well, except for the fact that I have been craving salads too! 

Speaking of salads, what is with the Romaine lettuce recalls?  I am wondering why romaine has the most issues with bacteria?  Of course it is my favorite lettuce! 

Update:  Two weeks since the last chemo and I am still struggling with weakness in legs and fatigue. I nap 2x a day and sleep 9-10 hrs a night.   I am happy to report that last night I could get up the stairs to bed on my own again so baby steps!  This coming Monday we head to Mayo for a follow up with the radiology oncologist and will get more info on when the next phase of this journey begins.  I had good news with both the dermatologist and urologist appointments this week.  All is well, so no return to them for 6 months.  Yay. 

Joel will give his last sermon Wednesday night at a community service and then he is done with his Interim.  He is ready for a break, but will miss all the people he has gotten to know in the past 15 months.  There are some great people at the churches and they will be missed.

I have not had the brain power to read this week so have been watching too many Hallmark movies or HGTV shows.  What are you reading?  Hope your weekend is filled with sunshine! 

No comments: