Thursday, December 5, 2019

Pitching My Tent

"I am glad from the inside out, ecstatic.  
I have pitched my tent in the land of hope."
Acts 2:26  Message Bible

It is the the middle of the first week of Advent, a time that we are focusing on hope.  H.O.P.E  And don't we all need a little hope in our lives.  Hope for today, hope for tomorrow.  Hope for the coming of a baby.  Hope for healing.  Hope for a miracle.  And isn't God the God of miracles?!  Isn't the birth of a Savior, our Savior, a miracle? 

When I read this verse, I cannot say that I am feeling really glad from the inside out, or ecstatic in any way.  Just saying.......but I have pitched my tent in the land of hope.  During the storms of life, that tent needs some deep stakes to stay upright.  It shakes and the tent flaps whip about in the wind and rain, but faith keeps it grounded.  I visually can see myself pounding those stakes in hitting each one harder and harder, deeper and deeper.  And with metal hitting metal hope rises and faith is strengthened. 



Maybe what Ann Voskamp says holds some truth.  "Hope isn't about thinking something will get better.  Hope is about believing Someone better is already here"  We have the privilege of knowing the end of the story of Christmas.  Of knowing about the baby born in a manger, the son of God and of man.  A carpenter's son and yet God's only Son with three years of ministry that healed the sick, cleansed the lepers, brought the dead to life, cast out demons and offered eternal life for all.

Hope sustains.  Life may be challenging, but because of Jesus we can keep our tent pitched in the land of hope., knowing there is hope for today, and in the waiting for tomorrow.  Knowing there is hope for eternity. 

No comments: