Saturday, December 7, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of Iowa where snow is scarce and today's high will be in the 40's before Canada sends a winter blast our way.  Most of our snow is long gone so Joel has been able to get out to walk some days.....and I have walked for a short distance.....really short.....out in the fresh air.  Oh, it smelled so good! 

Our house is decorated for Christmas, with a tree in the corner and a few decorations around the main living area.  The Christmas newsletter is written and I am getting a few out every day.  Joel had the outside lights on in mid November, but we did not turn them on until the day after Thanksgiving!  There is nothing like lights or candles to bring a smile to your face and joy to your heart, right?

On November 25th I saw the radiology oncologist again.  What I thought would be 1 appointment was 4!  The last was a "CT simulation therapy" session which should have taken 30-45 minutes and took 2 hours.  They were trying to figure out how I could lay for up to 45 minutes with my arms above my head.....after all the lymph node removal that was not happening so they are using a special prototype they created for people like me and my arms will be below the chest wall level so radiation can get to where it needs to.  I also have to wear a mask on my face to keep it in a certain position.  They put a hot silicon material over my face with openings for eyes, nose, and mouth.  Then it cools and as it cools on your face in shrinks to fit tightly.  Did I mention tightly?  To my surprise after about 15 minutes I started to get very anxious and had to talk myself out of panicking.  And I thought this part of the journey would be easier?  

I will be starting proton radiation about 10 days later than I thought, on Dec. 20th.  This will be a Christmas where this quote will definitely come into play...."Christmas is what you make of it."  I am one month out of chemo and still having some side effects.  The most challenging is the pain and weakness in my muscles.  Improvement is slow but it is coming.  For so long I could not get up the stairs without Joel's support or stand in one position for more than a couple minutes.  It was slow and difficult, but healing is coming more and more.  One ineresting side effect is my nails.  On my feet they plain hurt.  My fingers?  Have deep ridges around the half moon moving out.....looks like one ridge for every chemo treatment!  The nails tear easily too, and hurt at times.  Eye still funkier, still having therapy for scar tissue, dealing with some numbness in fingertips and toes, and energy level is too dang low BUT  baby steps....baby steps.  One day at a time!

Speaking of one day at a time, Joel is transitioning into his 4th "retirement" of not working.  He is busy catching up on office work and house needs.  He is not good at sitting around.  I watch him run up and down our stairs, work in the yard, kitchen, or office and I am envious of all his energy!  There is great benefits in staying active.  The body responds to it with better health!

Yesterday I was surfing on the TV and stopped briefly on the Hallmark Channel....Joel got up from the chair and said, "I am going to the office.  I cannot tolerate another Hallmark Christmas movie right now!  Giggle....They have been showing them 24/7 since October and it is too much!!!  We are going to get set up for BritBox TV.  I love British TV shows and there are so many available with BritBox.  Do any of you have it?  

I saw the sweetest segment on TV and Facebook this week.  A young boy was being adopted and had to go to court with his new family for the final decree.  His whole kindegardent class came to the courthouse for it!  They held up hearts on sticks  and cheered when the judge decreed this lttle guy officially had a new forever family.  So great to see!  It took me back to when we went to court for our son Kevin's adoption finalization.  We all went along and celebrated at Dairy Queen.  Everyone could order whatever dessert they wanted which was a big deal in our financially strapped family.  

I find myself rambling, so will end this little chat with gratitude for your friendship, love, and prayers  Gratitude for lights, decorations, trees, Christmas music, and the color red!   Enoy your weekend....

No comments: