Saturday, December 21, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of the world where mild weather has been welcomed by those of us in the upper Midwest.  Today we are supposed to hit the mid 40's!  So unusual for this time of year, with Christmas just 4 days away.

Speaking of Christmas, we are looking forward to seeing most of our family the weekend after when they gather at our home.  It will be wonderful to hug on them all!  Christmas will be as usual, the two of us, but thanks to an adjustment in my treatment schedule at Mayo we will get to be home for both days instead of in a hotel.  Yay!

Speaking of Mayo yesterday was filled with appointments before my first treatment at 4 pm.  I was so anxious about the face mask, but it is less tight after they removed the shims that were placed behind my head orginally when they were shaping it to me.  I listened to contemporary Christian music during the time I laid in wait for the beam to reach our treatment room.  The treatment does not take long, it is the waiting, 30 to 45 minutes, as one machine is used for 4 treatment rooms.  This machine is three stories high and the beam goes the length of a football field.  Proton radiation.....look it up.

As we traveled to Rochester yesterday morning I asked God to send us moments that would brighten our day and remind us of His Presence.  He did not disappoint.  We first entered one desk area just in time to see a man "graduate" from his treatments by ringing a loud bell.  His wife and children were there and cheered him on!  It was touching.  Then the woman we saw about a research study was so nice and helpful, even walking us to our next appointment. They often go above and beyond at Mayo.  Later I had 6 tubes of blood drawn, and the nurse was again so nice and chatty.  When we were waiting for my appointment to see another nurse who would apply a thin special film on my skin to help protect it for treatment, we watched as another woman was cheered by her family as she went in for her last radiation treatment.  Joel said later (when I was in treatment) she also rang the bell and around 10 people surrounded her cheering her on.  Brings tears to write about it!  While we waited for my treatment, a volunteer offered to give me a hand massage.  I did not think it would relax me but it really did!  Then there was Oscar, one of the proton radiation techs who came for me, walked me through the first treatment and helped during the treatment.  This young man was gentle, kind, and relaxed which relaxed me.  And I can't forget the young woman in her early twenties with her bald head, waiting with me to go to her own proton treatment.  So young to be going through so much.....but with a smile on her face!  ALL of these moments provided by God  to remind us that He is in the midst of each and every person's journey.  That He is always with us.  It helped make our day better!!

This coming week is a roller coaster ride with treatment times from 7am the earliest and 9pm the latest, Christmas arriving, lots of traveling for us, and then our family coming.  We are in hotels or at home until we get a spot at Hope Lodge in Rochester.  It is established by the Ameriacan Cancer Society.  We are learning that we need to be flexible when it comes to this journey at Mayo.  Things change.  Alot.  Still, we find them very efficient, caring, and helpful wherever you go.

Something that does not change is our Lord and His faithfulness.  About a week ago I was talking to God and told Him I wanted to be obedient and follow Him where He led me...........I immediately saw in my mind Jesus take my hand and to my surprise walk me into the radiation room and have me lay on the table.  He stood by my left side and put is hand on my shoulder.  I knew he was telling me to follow Him through radiation and that He would always be there with me.  Then the night before we left for Mayo my sister Jan texted me and said that Jesus would be sitting right beside me through the treatment!  She knew nothing of my vision......I know her words were a reminder from God that Jesus was there in the room and all would be well.  "The Lord is fighting for you, you need only to be calm."

So, for all of us let us remember to be calm, and to be aware of the moments God provides for us no matter our circumstances.  Yes, let us be still and look around us, because especially this year, as Max Lucado said in a powerful message he wrote, "We need Some Christmas this Christmas".  That needs to be our focus.  Christmas and the Christ Child.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: