Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Shalom Calms The Chaos


The second Sunday of Advent we light the candle of Peace.   I could use just a little more of that.....couldn't we all......and it is available  right there in front of us as we ponder the birth of our Savior.  He is Peace.  Shalom comes from the One who is Shalom.

I recently read on Facebook Dr. Brian Simmons thoughts on Psalm 34:14 and the meaning of the word Shalom within this verse.

" This word here in the Hebrew means much more than peace.  It is wholeness, wellness, well being, safe, happy, friendly, favor, completeness, to make peace, peace offering, secure, to prosper, to e vicorious, to be content, tranquil, quiet and restful.  The pictographic symbols for the word shalom actually reads, "Destroy the authority that binds to chaos".  Also  in noun form it means to "restore".

Yeah.......it pretty much covers it all.

I heard Bill Johnson say today that he and his wife Beni have worked hard to keep their home a house of peace.  Enter in peace, live in peace.  Unless it was urgent, the stresses of the day were not discussed and conflicts were not hashed out until a chosen time when they could sit down together and in a calm manner share with each other.  They were intentional in keeping chaos out of their home.

I have prayed often for our house to be a place of healing and peace. This past year it has been easy to give chaos a place of residence as so many surprises and unwanted concerns popped up.  It is more a feeling of being unsettled or just plain fearful of what is coming.  I know I am not alone.  We do have a choice though.......

This morning I peeked over our upstairs railing to see the tree lights on and the fireplace glowing.  My hubby was in his recliner covered with a wool afghan, dozing.  He was a picture of peace...shalom.  He is so good about taking time to embrace the moments....making the most of His Presence.  Making the most of the good we can find in every day....even before the sun rises. 

During Advent we are reminded that Peace comes in the manger.  And that baby in the manger?  Lives in us,  Peace is within no matter what chaos shakes up our world.  I wish you peace.  I declare peace over you.  I give you the word Shalom and all it means in the Hebrew.  Let every breath inhaled be Shalom and every breath exhaled release that which unsettles.  In Jesus peace reigns.

John 14:27 speaks clearly His words..........

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. 
 I do not give to you as the world gives. 
 Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

No comments: