Saturday, December 14, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of the world here in Iowa.  It has been a mild week weather wise, although the temperatures have been on their own roller coaster......December has it's own way of doing things.

Speaking of December, it has been a quiet week medically, except for a few phone calls, physical therapy sessions, and one trip to the doctor for yet another infection.  We got the list of times for my radiation treatments and were pretty happy that night time treatments were few and far between, and then they called and told me they are tentative times!  We do know for sure the 20th will be the first along with a few other appointments.  One day at a time, right?

Our son Matt came up yesterday for another visit.  To my delight he set up Britbox on our smart TV for a year.  My Christmas present from him and the family.  Yay!  I have been eying that channel for awhile.  We do enjoy British TV and we definnitely enjoy having our son come to visit!

We decorated the tree early this week and Joel and I made a triple batch of pumpkin bread on Wednesday.  It freezes nicely and it is a tradition to make it and send it home with our kids after our family gathering.  One year it is on Thanksgiving and the next the first weekend after Christmas.  As the years go by it is harder to get all of us together at one time, but we stay hopeful.  We don't plan on too much baking this year, but I plan to bake one of my husband's favorites.....cinnamon logs made mostly with butter and sugar.  Delish!

Thanks to the creation of gift cards and online shopping, we managed to get most of our Christmas shopping done in a couple of hours on Thursday.  There are times I miss looking for those special gifts for each person, but energy and time are limited this year for sure.  And speaking of limited, Joel and I cannot come up with a Christmas list for or from each other.  We like opening gifts on Christmas morning but when you don't have a list of wants or needs that can be purchased?  I expect it is partly due to age and partly do to circumstances.

Once again another week has passed with little reading getting done on my part.  I did get out around 90 Christmas cards/newsletters and could mark that task off the to do list.  I have always enjoyed writing letters and cards.  We enjoy hearing from others and look forward to the mail arriving during the month of December.

We hope your month of December is going well.  Whether you are dealing with a packed schedule or wondering how to fill your lonely days, I pray you find God's peace within, and deep joy in expressing gratitude.  I am so grateful this week for time with Matt, texting with kids, a decorated tree, laughter with Joel, devotions that resonate, Christmas music, and catching up with friends and family through the mail.















No comments: