Saturday, July 13, 2024

Saturday's Scribbles

 

Good Saturday to you from our corner of Iowa where the heat and humidity is the talk of the day. We're heading to near 90 with a "feels like" temperature eventually near 100. The air is very heavy and it's just a good day to be inside and give thanks for the air conditioning.  I know I have said many times before but when the weather gets like this it feels like we're back in the Philippine Islands where this was normal every day. So thankful that it's just a few scattered days of summer here in the Midwest. Humidity is not my friend! 

Speaking of friends we had someone stop by on Thursday for a visit. Her and her husband used to live here but now live up in Minnesota. Just one of the many connections is that her mom and Joel rode the same school bus when they were kids!  Joel helped officate at their wedding.  This woman's  husband died of cancer during the pandemic. Such a sad situation.  So, Joel had to leave for a pre-baptismal visit but  she stayed here and chatted with me.

 Yesterday my siblings were all here for a gathering. We try to do it yearly and definitely could since we're not that far apart from each other! It's amazing how life gets in the way. I have tried to explain my family situation before, and here is the short version.  I moved in with my older sister for the final time when I was 12 years old. Her four children who were nine, eight, five, and two at the time. They became my siblings as we grew up together.  I have my older sister Jo (15 yrs older) who  died a few years ago and my sister Jan who is eleven years older,  but I also have my four siblings that are a huge part of my life.  I am blessed to have so many people to love and hug on. We had a great time catching up.  We ordered Godfather's pizza and my sister Janelle's idea for everyone to bring their favorite childhood chips and childhood candy was fun. A favorite for our generation was Old Dutch potato chips but for me it was also Fritos. The Candy had quite a bit of variety with Joel liking the Payday candy bar and I the Heath bar.   What do you remember eating when you were kids! Do you have a favorite candy bar or chip that you ate when you were young?  Pne thing I remember having that was always a favorite for me in the summer was a Dreamsicle. In orange Dreamsicle... it was in a push-up that looked a lot like a paper toilet roll! Haha   For a real treat in the summer on Saturdays we would all take our baths and get in our PJs and hop into the car and drive to the A&W Root Beer Stand where we would have popcorn and mugs of root beer. That was so good! Those were the days! 

I'm still heading to the chiropractor once a week but the back is doing well. I'm walking but still at a slower pace. We got the cleaning done and a little baking. Joel has been biking quite a bit but often early in the morning because of the weather. And the mosquitoes are out of control this year! 

Short Scribbles this week.....Grateful for the visit from a friend.  Grateful for the sibling gathering.  Grateful for laughter, tears, and memories.  Gratful for air conditioning.  Grateful for "this too shall pass" kind of weather.  Grateful for a stronger back.  Grateful for biking, walking, working around the house, and going to outdoor church.  Grateful for Old Dutch potatoe chips. Fritos, Bugles, and Payday, Heath, Peppermint Patties, and other candy.  And memories of Dreamcycles.  Grateful for phone calls, texts, photos and so much more...

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: