Saturday, July 27, 2024

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you on this hot and sticky day here in Iowa. I'm sure the corn is loving this weather. Us, not so much. But we can't really complain since we have air conditioning in our car and in our house. Joel does some porch sitting early every morning and our resident rabbit is not at all phased by him. He stretches out on the grass puts his paws on the cement lifts his head to the Sun and just dozes. He and Joel have agreed to share space not really interacting but sharing just the same. We haven't seen many cardinals lately but we hear our resident wren singing at times. We have birds in the backyard that must have a nest because they go after any squirrel that is nearby, pecking at them, flapping their wings at them, squawking at them. Two little birds, probably sparrows, going after one big squirrel.....and  the squirrel is losing the battle!
Today our oldest son, Matt turns 53.  He has had a challenging year but continues to move forward with determination and integrity.   Love you son.  Happy Birthday!

 On Thursday I decided to clean another bathroom, washing the floor using my foot. I started cleaning floors this way when we lived in the Philippines because our Filipino yard boy would use a coconut husk and his foot to polish the floors in our house. It was a lot easier than getting down on your hands and knees. So in smaller rooms like bathrooms I have done the same. The problem is now my back doesn't really like that game of moving back and forth across the floor with my foot. I'm not ready to give that up so I'm talking to my back and moving forward. I actually googled Philippines, coconut husks,  and floors and sure enough there were videos of people using coconut husks and their feet to polish floors! Evidently it still is done there 50 yrs later! 

Joel is making the wood fill in behind the side trim for some bookcases in the local Frank Lloyd Wright House Interpretation Center where our neighbor is a volunteer. Our oldest daughter was pretty tickled to hear that. She loves art and architecture and was impressed with Frank Lloyd Wright's houses and hotel here in town. We have one in our association called a usonian house. It is not my style with very few narrow windows.  It is plain and stark to me but the people that built it were extremely precise in the way they wanted it done and they're happy with it. I've thought about what kind of house I would want to buy or build at this age and I'm just thinking a smaller size one level with no vaulted ceilings.... we've had enough of those! Our home has a very open floor plan with the ceilings 30 ft high at the top and that is where all the sound and heat goes. Pretty to look at but not practical.  I do like smaller spaces that are cozy like a sunroom or a small family room. When I was 11 and lived with my mom, there was a large empty closet space with a window that I called my own.  My bed was was the living room sofa so this was my own little space where I had my dolls and my books and it felt cozy and comfortable. I enjoy our home but there are no cozy spaces like that here. We do have large windows and beautiful views to the outdoors though!

Joel has been biking and I have been walking.  I made Joel a blueberry pie,and we had blueberry muffins from the 10 lb of berries from the Mennonites.  They are less sweet this year for the first time but good for baking. We still are searching for shoes ......guess we are fussy!  

I am still managing to cut Joel's hair with one wonky eye.  Today it went well, so that's good.  I clipped his ear once a few months ago but he still wants me to keep being his barber.  Oh boy...

We watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics last night well off and on I guess because some of it was very bizarre obnoxious strange and definitely not for the common people! That is just my humble opinion! I'm looking forward to watching women's beach volleyball this afternoon. For some reason it's one of my favorite. Joel is going to try to find archery. Of course we're excited to watch gymnastics too.

Time to get lunch going here in our corner of the world.  Grateful for a full fridge and cupboards, our electric grill, and appliances.  Grateful for biking and walking, blueberries, and baked goodies.  Grateful for Filipino memories with floor washing, and being able to wash a floor with my foot!  Although those days are coming to an end!  And that's ok.Grateful for cozy rooms of comfort and childhood memories.  Grateful for our resident birds, rabbits and squirrels.  Grateful for Joel's FLW volunteer project.  Grateful for phone calls, texts, emails, and pictures shared.  Grateful for all this and so much more......

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: