Saturday, November 7, 2009

Spiritual Sundays

Recently I read about Augustus Montague Toplady, a minister who lived near Somerset England during the eighteenth century. He is well known for the hymn, "Rock of Ages".

One day when Toplady was out walking he was caught in a fierce storm. He quickly took refuge inside a rocky area and while waiting for the storm to pass he composed a poem that eventually became a favorite hymn. The place he took shelter was not small, but was a massive cliff with vertical rifts. He protected himself in a fissure that was completely hidden by the towering rock. Nothing would have moved this cliff~ it was indeed shelter from the storm.

When David praised God in 2 Samuel 22:1-3 he said,

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; thou savest me from violence."

Both David of the Psalms, and Toplady from England understood well that we have nothing to fear when we hide ourselves in the Lord. He is our Rock for ALL ages. He is our protector, our shield in every storm!
Rock of ages, cleft for me
Let me hide myself in Thee...
For more inspirational posts visit Charlotte and Ginger's blog, Spiritual Sundays at http://www.bloggerspirit.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Debbie said...

I love that hymn, and those scriptures. This has really blessed me, thanks for sharing it. Blessings to you this week, Debbie

Charlotte said...

This is a good reminder of how we are protected by the rock of ages. I love stories about how hymns were written. Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I love this song, thank-you for the information it's was interesting.
God Bless,
Ginger

Sally said...

Thanks for that information. God is my rock too.

Musings of A Minister said...

Powerful and true. Thanks for sharing this.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, this just gave me goosebumps (of joy, that is!). I've always loved that hymn; and appreciate hearing the "back story"!

Have a joyous new week, Renee!

Myra

Sharlotte said...

Thank you for sharing the history for the inspiration of the hymn, "Rock of Ages". {Very interesting.} It is a great reminder that God is our protector during lifes peaks and valleys!

Warren Baldwin said...

Thanks for the background to this great hymn!

Cathy said...

Thanks for that beautiful story about that wonderful hymn.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I love this hymn also. Thanks for this powerful reminder that He is Our Rock and Our Fortress!
Have a Blessed Week,
Myrna