Saturday, February 13, 2016

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday morning to you from the frozen arctic.  Good grief!  This present frigid air is challenging us, waking to a -19 wind chill and finding it hard to get out from under the Woolie.  Okie dokie. Today snow is forecast, but we have enjoyed some sunshine this past week.  A rarity this year.  I heard it has been one of the coldest winters in Arizona in years.  What does that mean?  It is down to 55?  Cuz, I will take that.  Perspective I guess.  I think I might be a bit jealous of those who are walking around in fall coats instead of wool lined boots, heavy coats, hats, scarves and gloves.  I am happy for you Jan, Linda, and others....really I am.  (giggle)

The cold weather of winter has us walking in the mini mall.  We hurry into the car, hurry into the mall, and hurry back into the house.  That is the extent of my outdoor activities right now.  Ha....

We had Bible study here Tuesday night and I headed to a woman's study Thursday morning while Joel was off to a pastors conference in town.  Ash Wednesday came early this year, but Joel was off in Iowa City taking our youngest to a follow up recheck after knee surgery and I was under the weather so we missed the beginning of Lent.  It felt unsettling to us, missing the beginning of this sacred season of remembering, repenting, reflecting, and re-focusing.

This past week I have received Isaiah 60:1 now 6 times.  "Arise, shine;For your light has come!
And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you"

When I hear something 3 or more times I pay attention.  Getting up to number 6 has me vibrating inside with the need to give God my rapt attention. God has a message and He is serious about it, so I don't want to miss what He is telling me!  I wrote about it this week, but I am still soaking in it, this verse and what it means for me.

I also wrote about the radiation residue I am dealing with.  May I say, I hate it.  Is that clear enough? I hate it, this weakness and lack of energy.  I am tired often.  Ugh.  I am impatient to move forward.  Speaking of things I am not happy about, that would be my need for cataract surgery. Another surgery.  Yes, I have heard over and over how easy it is.  Gotcha.  I am still having to intentionally give thanks that I can have surgery to see clearly again.  Yes, I want to see better, no....I do not want another surgery.  Two in fact. Okay, enough lamenting on that topic.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.  A day set aside for candy, cards, flowers, romantic dates and intimate connections of body and soul.  It is all that, but love goes way beyond what a Hallmark card or one day expresses,  it is about God loving us and us loving God.  And in God loving us and us loving Him,, we are able to love others.  Loving others involves forgiveness, understanding , validation, seeing and hearing others, and getting out of our world and into theirs.

I have been reading a super book called "Roots and Sky" by Christie Purifoy.  A true story of her and her family's quest to find and put down roots.  It is really resonating with us in this season of our lives and of course I am writing about it.  It is part of that arise and shine verse in Isaiah 60:1.  Like Joel said to me a week ago, "Holy Spirit is stirring".  Yeah.  By the way, Chrstie's sister lost her husband in that recent military accident in Hawaii when two heliocopters collided.  It happened on the day her book was to come out.  So tragic.  The best of times............the worst of times...

Our week was filled with love, laughter, reflection, talking together, learning together, praying together. We have watched a few teachings from Andrew Wommack, Bethel Church, and other places this week.  We are reading aloud Barry Bennett's book, "Hearing God" and I am reading an interesting book by Rick Renner on Spiritual Warfare.  It is giving me a new perspective.  What is shaping your life today?

Until next time............

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh my, I feel for you with that frigid temperatures! I am wanting to read that book, so soon I will read it as well.

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, I see the Lord's light shining through you in the midst of this journey you are on. We've been having weather that has tons of snow but then some nice sunny days too. We may get a dusting of snow tomorrow, but it is supposed to get to the 60's this week. Praising Papa for the promise of spring, even if it is 4 months away. I would wait on your cataract surgery until after all your treatments are done-I know that chemo drugs etc can change our bodies. Praying for His healing touch on you, your recovery and your eyes.
Sending love and blessings to you.
Noreen

Anita Johnson said...

I'll keep this simple...love stopping here. Let the prayers continue. And I like the verse...ARISE AND SHINE!