Saturday, November 10, 2018

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday morning to you from our cold part of north Iowa.  The low last night was 11 degrees.....and with winds adding to the mix?  Ugh!  The sun is shining, but the fireplace is what is warming my toes today.  Joel had to drive up to the Twin Cities Friday afternoon to attend our friend Barb's funeral.  We have known Barb and Dan since Joel and Dan were at seminary together in the 70's.  Barb fought a hard battle, but cancer took her earthly body in the end.  But not her soul.  She was a fine, caring Christian who loved her family and the Lord.  I am sure when Jesus opened His arms to her He said, "Well done good and faithful servant".

Joel arrived home late Friday night and after a good night's sleep he headed south to one of the churches he is serving to help officiate at a funeral for a church member.  I think he will be ready for a good nap after Sunday's services.  It has been a busy week.

I was unable to go with him to our friend's funeral.  I am doing well after the surgery, but have been fighting a cold.  Thursday I had to have a bone density test and then an echo cardiogram.  Friday morning was spent at the cancer center.  Lab work, a visit with the doctor, and two injections of SERD hormonal drugs to start my treatment. A 5 hour round trip was not advisable under the circumstances.  The good news is my heart and bones are fine and my blood work looked good.  The challenge is in getting our Express Script to okay the expensive pills that go along with the injections.    The doctor is working on that, but most importantly we are praying on that! 

I am thankful that the elections are over and we can go back to prescription drug ads instead of political ads.  Although they both stink!  I am enjoying Hallmark Christmas movies, although it makes me want to get our tree decorated~  Ha!  I also have been enjoying a couple of shows on Netflix.  Two British shows, Dr. Blake Mysteries and Land Girls, have filled my time when the sofa calls me or I need a distraction from life in general.  We still watch NCIS faithfully.  Do you have a few favorites?

Thursday night we dug out the "Woolie"!  It was time.  My organic wool comforter keeps me so warm in the winter months.  All I need is a top sheet and the Woolie and I'm good to go.  As I have said before, I believe wool has healing properties.  Joel wears wool gloves to sleep at night and believes they keep his hands from hurting.  I sleep with a Cuddle Ewe under the fitted sheet which is stuffed with wool.  Then I have the Woolie as a cover and oh my, it is Heaven!  I am probably boring you.....time to move on!

Off and on we think about getting another dog.  We usually talk ourselves out of it, remembering the costs, the upkeep, and the risk of ticks coming into the house.  And then there will be a story like our daughter shared on Facebook this week........Beth woke up to a "rancid coffee smell" which soon turned into a nightmare when they discovered their 95 lb puppy, Koda had pooped liquid poop all over the carpeted floor of their bedroom closet.  They woke up to the smell!  Reason #whatever on why we need to live without a puppy companion right now.

When I went for the echo the woman performing the test began visiting with me.  Her Christmasy name seemed appropriate for this season to begin.  She shared she had been diagnosed as a kid with bone cancer, survived that to be diagnosed with thyroid cancer two years ago.  She was cancer free once again.  Such a young woman to have dealt with so much.  Life is full of challenges, and the grace with which she was handling hers was not lost on me.  Bless her Lord with health and full healing as she journeys through life.  Bless us all.

God has continued to send different versions of Exodus 14:14, each one a comfort and strength.  I leave you today with the latest....

1 comment:

NanaNor's said...

Dearest Renee, It is good to hear that your bones and heart are strong; will continue to pray for healing of the cancer and that the Doctor can get the pills you need. Sometimes I think things would be easier without a dog, but life without dogs-for me, isn't going to happen. Our Hunter makes me so happy and content; praying your daughter's dog is alright and that it wasn't anything really bad. Sending you love and prayers today.
Noreen