Saturday, November 17, 2018

Saturday's Scribbles


Good Saturday morning to you from our corner of Iowa where the winter season has arrived well before Thanksgiving!  I do remember one Thanksgiving in Minnesota where we had a mighty snowstorm that caused us to cancel our trip to grandparents.  The snow was high, the roads were slick, and staying home was the only option!  Joel was out this morning snow blowing, as the white stuff began falling last night. They are promising it will be 41 at Thanksgiving, but we will see.............I'm hoping!

Speaking of Thanksgiving, most of our family will be here Wednesday night and Thursday to celebrate.  They are heading home Thursday night and Friday afternoon, as some have other things going on.  There is an understanding that Mom will need more rest too. We ordered the meal this year!  It makes sense. 

This past week as I sat in the cancer center, I noticed the people around me.  There was a young woman with her newborn baby.  The mom had a port in and was getting ready for chemo.  On Thursday I noticed a young child, around age 4, with a mask on, waiting to see an oncologist I believe.  There are many elderly there, and a few that are ages 40-60 I expect.  The staff that work the front desk are amazing.  I have dealt with them for three years, and now is not any different.  In fact, when one woman saw I was back, she asked me what was going on.  As I told her, I remember saying, "I just had surgery on my kidneys, so I am not in fighting mode, but I will be again."  She stood up, grabbed my hands, looked me in the eyes and replied, "Oh, and we will fight with you!"  That is how they are.  Caring, sincere, and personable.

Thursday we had a 1 1/2 hour appointment to discuss the SERD drug treatment.  Because of what it does to the body, it is considered a chemotherapy.  So many rules and precautions to take.  Joel has to wear gloves to even touch the pills, do my laundry, etc.  Bathroom etiquette has rules now, and even bodily contact. Good grief.  I started the pills Friday and can tell.  NO reactions though, just side effects starting.  Expected.

We did go out this past week and take care of Christmas.  This year it is all "cash or cards".  Much easier to deal with.  I love taking the time to pick out a special gift for someone, but not this season.  I am also loving the Hallmark Christmas movies.......and the Dr. Blake series on Netflix.

I was watching Dirty Jobs on TV, where Mike Rowe was taking care of the pins at a bowling alley.  It took me way back to 1980 when I bowled on a league in Medicine Lake Montana.  One woman on the team was probably 80 and could hardly lift her ball, but she could get to the line, drop that ball, and score high!  I would take our 4 year old son Mark along, and he loved it because he was able to have treats!  Pop and candy!  It was the only team I was ever on, but I enjoyed it.  Now days the only bowling I do is on the Wii.  I still do pretty darn good though!  Ha.....

Enjoy your weekend, treasure the moments in time, hug your family and friends...........and yourself!








No comments: