Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Easily Offended, Hyperly-Divided?


We were listening to a sermon Sunday, live stream from Lutheran Church of Hope. and one statement by the pastor drew my full attention.  "The world is easily offended and hyperly-divided."  Isn't that the truth!  He went on to say that one pastor had shared he had an active small group in his church split up.  When he asked what had happened, one of the members of that group said, "Well, we discovered we did not all hold the same political views."  This "offense" broke up their well established church group. 

Several times in the past week my attention has been drawn to the word offense or offending.  It has come up in a devotional, a sermon, on TV, and in a book I am reading.  When things come up in 3's or more, I pay attention because usually that means God is trying to get my attention.

The book I am reading spoke about how offense can get in the way of our faith growing, even our relationship with God.  God does not want us to cause offense or hold on to offenses.  I was challenged by what I read and wanted to study it more.

Hearing what the pastor stated about the world resonated with me.  Just think about it for a minute......A church group, a group that follows Jesus and his commandments was so offended by their differences politically that they split up.  Can I just say that made Satan very happy.  Mission accomplished!  United we stand, divided we fall.

Yes, we are an easily offended nation.  Recently Gayle King had her life threatened because someone at CBS, her employer, took an interview she was part of and aired it out of context.  She was asking someone about Kobe Bryant's past accusations of sexual misconduct.  Kobe had recently died in a heliocopter crash, and someone was offended enough to threaten her life?

When did we become a nation of easily offended people?  When did we become so hyperly-divided politically, religiously, or just as human beings in this broken world?   When did it become okay to threaten someone's life because you don't like what they have said?  And why?

I have had to reflect on my own offenses.........do I owe someone an apology?  Am I holding a grudge against someone who has caused problems in my life?  Are any offenses getting in the way of my relationship with God?  Do I hold offenses at God?  There is definitely room for improvement when I answer these questions honestly!

Our hearts hold the offenses we have, the unforgiveness that festers within.  It is so important that we bring them before God and leave them at His feet.  It is important for our physical and spiritual health, for our relationships with others and most importantly our relationship with God. 

No comments: