Saturday, February 15, 2020

Saturday's Scribbles


Good Saturday to you from northern Iowa where winter temps plummetted Thursday and Friday.  We woke to -18 Friday with a windchill of -40.  Bitterly cold!  Those two words remind me of when we were at Hope Lodge and dealing with colder weather.  We had walked through the tunnels and then just over a block outside to get back to the Lodge from Mayo one morning.  Two women were sitting in the lobby as we came in, one a familiar face.  The woman I did not know asked us if it was just cold outside or bitterly cold outside?  I paused and asked her where she was from and she told me Florida!  My reply?  "If you are from Florida then it is bitterly cold outside!" 

I remember when we moved to The Philippine Islands and how long it took to adjust to the high heat and humidity.  Ugh....not sure we ever did fully adjust, but when we came home two years later in May, we all promptly got sick from the "cold weather".  Our bodies had acclimated to the P.I. and it took a good year or two for our bodies to adjust to the 4 seasons again. 

In the past week we spent time with doctors again, Joel in the sit and wait mode and me as the "patient"~ laser surgery on my rt eye, an eye injection, and a surgical procedure to remove the port kept me resting more at the end of the week.  My husband is more than curious, so he observed the surgeon remove the port from a close and personal position.  His comment?  "I was surprised by how much they cut into you."  Needless to say, I was not watching!  The cold virus returned for the weekend so church was out of the question.  That may be okay with all the flu out there!  My body is also trying to adjust to the hormone inhibitor I am taking.  My goal is to go a whole month without seeing a doctor!  It's coming!!

In the world at large, things just seem to get more unbelievable, unpredictable, and incomprehensible. At times like this it is good to focus on what we can rely on, God's faithfulness, His promises, His plans for good and not for evil.  Yeah.....that will bring the blood pressure down.  Although mine is low enough at 99/63 last time it was checked!  Since our bodies actually heal best when we are in a state of peace and rest, it makes sense that we keep Jesus at the center of it all.  "I will be in perfect peace when I am focused on You, because I trust in you."  Isa. 26:3

We have friends who are spending time in Hawaii.  It is on our bucket list.  We came through Hawaii in 1976 when we were returning home from The Philippines.  We came through the military base, and there are two things I remember well.  One, it smelled wonderful there, even in the airport. A fragrant with flowers smell.  A woman Joel worked with in the P.I. met us at the base with leis!  Two, we were coming into the US with two children holding "green cards".  The two beautiful children we adopted in the P.I. were not yet US citizens so it took longer.  I remember we had 9 pieces of luggage (all our other stuff was being shipped home) and 4 kids ages 6, 5, 18 mo. and 14 mo.  Our hands were full.  As the airman looked at all our luggage and kids, instead of going through every single thing while we waited in the heat, he waved us on through.  I was thinking he did not want to go through it all, but since it was his job, I choose to believe he felt sorry for us and just waved us through as honest people who were not bringing drugs, etc. into the country! After a very long plane ride to get there, we were so grateful!  Reflecting back on Hawaii, I do wonder if people are more relaxed there with all the water around to soothe them......hmmm

This week I finished the David Rosenfelt mystery I got for Christmas, and am on to the next one.  After a trip to the library I have a few light mysteries to choose from.  What are you reading?

Enjoy your weekend!!  According to where you call home, stay warm or stay cool, stay safe, stay at peace and rest in His arms.  All is well...................

No comments: