Monday, August 23, 2010

MBM: A Hand Full of Hair


Memorial Box Monday was started by Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity. On Mondays we link up to share our stories of God's love and faithfulness in our lives. These stories always inspire and strengthen my faith of everyone who reads them. Join us or link up and share your own stories at http://www.aplacecalledsimplicity.blogspot.com/.


Today I would like to share a story of how God protected our son, who was two at the time. We were camping at the Bible camp our friends helped manage up in Canada, and had taken canoes out on the lake to a special rocky point to have a picnic. Our two children ages 3 and 2 were playing near the edge of the water. (I had already prayed for our protection, since being on the water is not my favorite place, and our son had been afraid of water since he was an infant.)


What we did not realize is that the rocky area they were playing on was the top of an underwater cliff, and the water was very deep. I kept an eye on the kids as we talked, so I was the one who saw Matt fall in the water. I jumped up immediately and ran over to grab him, but when I got there he was hardly visible and was being pulled under the cliff top by a strong current. I reached down into the water and came in contact with Matt's hair. His hair was very long and curly...so long people thought he was a girl, but I had been reluctant to cut it. That long hair saved his life that day! I kept a firm grip onto his long hair and pulled him back out from under the cliff and into my arms.


I know that my reluctance to cut his hair was part of God's plan that came together that day and saved our son's life. It helps to remember that story when our son, now a police officer, puts his life in danger every day. God has a plan for his life, too, and will protect him now just like he did as a child. His life is in God's hands.


I will need to put a picture of us from that day into my Memorial Box to remind me of how God loves and protects his children, and hears our prayers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy these MBM recollections. Thank you for sharing this story of God's love. Bless you this week Renee.

Fliterary said...

Oh my goodness, how frightening. I'm so grateful for God's loving protection and that you got there in time.

Unknown said...

I'll never laugh at a mom of a child with too-long hair again!
That's amazing!

Dena E's Blog said...

Hey Renee,,,thanks for the notes to my blogs I am so honored you stopped by!!!
It is always sooooo Awesome to share with all we can about Jesus...
Blessings and Hugs Dena

MamaHen said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us. I think I would have to keep all those curls when you finally did get it cut :)

Amber said...

Wow! God is amazing, isn't He?