Monday, August 9, 2010

Memorial Box Monday: Healing Touch

I have been praying about what to write today and a memory came up for me concerning a time when we lived in The Philippines...seems like so many of my memories of God's faithfulness come from that time in our lives! I am not sure why this needs to be posted, but I will not question it ~just do as I feel I am led this day.

When we adopted our daughter N. she came to us with a number of health issues, one of which was staph that caused huge boils on her body. Being with her all the time meant that several of us in the family also got boils from staph. In the hot and humid weather of the P.I., infections run rampart. I ended up with a very large boil under my arm and when I went it to have it lanced the pain I felt was unbelievable. They sprayed a little numbing solution on it, then lanced it with a knife to get all the puss out...and then they packed it with gauze and antibiotics. Not pretty, not fun. Sorry to be so graphic.

The day I needed to go back and have it redone was the day my Interdenominational Prayer Group met on the military base. Around 40 women gathered once a week to sing, pray, and give thanks for God's love and faithfulness. I still miss that group 34 years later. When I asked for prayer about the doctor visit, two of the women came and laid hands on me and prayed I would feel no pain during this procedure and that this boil would heal and the staph would be gone. After the meeting I went right to the hospital for treatment.

I remember laying down on a table, and as the doctor got ready to take out the gauze and repack it, the nurse held me down and leaned heavily on my arm where the boil was located. I closed my eyes waiting for the procedure to start. Truthfully, I waited for the pain. As I waited, I wondered why the doctor did not start....until the nurse said to me, "Can you feel that?" I replied, "Feel what?" She asked, "Can you feel the doctor working?" She was more than a little surprised I was not reacting to this painful procedure. I said, "I can't feel a thing!" The doctor then said, "NOTHING?" I smiled and said, "I can't feel anything." They both were stunned, so I shared with them the reason why I felt no pain. I told them, "I was prayed for this morning ~that I would not feel any pain, ......and I am not feeling any pain!" "Isn't God wonderful!"

The boil healed and the staph left my body. God was faithful to answer His praying servants and I was blessed that day with His healing touch. I was also able to witness to the doctor and nurse and maybe others as they shared the story.

I already have gauze in my Memorial Box for when our 6 year old daughter had a similar experience with her boil in the corner of her eye. When I asked her if it hurt, she said, "Oh no, Mommy, I prayed that it would not hurt and it didn't." God removed the pain for both of us. Praise God for His deep love and faithfulness for His children.

Join Linny at A Place Called Simplicity to read more posts or link up to share your own stories....You can also read about why Linny started MBM.

17 comments:

Fliterary said...

Oh Renee, this is such a wonderful testimony of God's loving touch. Thank you, sweet friend for sharing.

Praying for you and sending gentle hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this blessing of healing that you received.

Waitingfaithfully said...

What a wonderful testimony of the power of prayer, and healing--times two! He is faithful!

Praying for you Renee.

Blessings~

Tina

Shannon said...

Renee!
This is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am sorry that I haven't been commenting more lately, have just been stopping by to quickly read. I love reading your posts!
Shannon

Karen said...

Renee, Thank you for sharing this. God is so good! I also remember back to the hardest time in my life, when my son Caleb was dying, how God seemed so near, how the Bible passages leaped off the page to speak to me, and how God brought so many people to help and pray.

Jan Lyn said...

Thank you for sharing your healing story. You just never know exactly how many were touched that day as the experience circulated amongst the medical team and perhaps even their loved ones. That must have been exciting.

Mevely317 said...

I must to echo what everyone has already commented ... Thank you for obeying your impulse to publish this testimony today. I want to share it with my DH, that he might similarly be blessed!

Renee said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts...

Renee said...

Hi Barbara
Thanks for coming by!

Renee said...

Thanks for coming by Tina and for your prayers...

Renee said...

Hi Shannon
Thanks for commenting....always enjoy your posts so much too..Your words are so encouraging!

Renee said...

Hi SusanA
Thanks for coming by!

Renee said...

Hi Karen
Sending hugs and prayers your way. Thank you for sharing here....God bless.

Renee said...

Hi Jan Lyn
Hope you and yours are doing well...
Your remain in my thoughts and prayers...

Renee said...

Hi Mevely
Thanks for responding here...so glad you liked the story...it was so long ago, but still vivid in my mind.

Mom Of Many said...

Teary eyed over here in Colorado sweet friend...Thank you for sharing...Faithful God removing all pain...oh how I love HIM! Continued prayers for your healing....xo

Renee said...

Thank you for coming by Linny....He is such a loving God isn't He!