Saturday, July 9, 2016

Saturday's Scribbles

It is Saturday morning here in our corner of the world where the corn is getting tall, the flowers are in full bloom, and the grass is growing so fast mowing once a week is not quite enough.  The weather has been hot with high humidity....one day the dew point was at 76.  Ugh.  The corn likes the humidity and probably produces it here in Iowa.  I don't mind warm temperatures, but it is amazing how humidity affects the body.  I would not fair well in the deep south.  Here, we actually have a dehumidifier in the basement that gets emptied twice a day!

We have a persistent wren who sings most days from the birdhouse Joel has hanging in the lilac bushes.  On the days we can have the windows open we enjoy hearing this wren sing a joyful song!
The wren was not happy when Joel was out back trimming trees.  I was not happy when Joel was up on an extension ladder cutting and sawing limbs and branches away, either!  He ended up working 36-40 hours over the course of a week and had 35 bundles of limbs and sticks that the city garbage carted away.



It has been another week of tragedy in our country. We have a son living in a big city who would be identified as African American and we have a Caucasian son who is a police officer in another big city.  Needless to say, it is difficult to not worry..  We are concerned about the world our grandchildren are growing up in.  I hate how divided it has become or continues to be, and I don't just mean with these tragic events that have taken place.  I mean in all areas. Religion.  Economy. Politics.  Race.  There is no easy answer and it is so discouraging to watch our country implode. So much anger.  So much violence.  So much hatred.  So much fear. Please keep our country in prayer.

Speaking of our country, we enjoyed spending part of the 4th with my sister and her hubby, and of course could not miss the fireworks since they are set off near by and go right over our heads.  The windows shook and lots of the debris landed in the yards on our cul-de-sac.  It was a nice day to celebrate the birthday of our country.  

I have been reading a book by Steve Backlund called "Declarations" that has been very insightful! I He is one of the teaching pastors at Bethel Church in CA.  We have watched a few teachings and I have gotten into a British series on Netflix called "Rosemary and Thyme" about two older women who solve crimes.  It is a light mystery type of show which is great for me.  Sadly, I only have a few episodes left to watch!

Until next time...................

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Yes, I have often asked myself in the past few months, "What is this world coming to?"

Thankfully, I have this hope: JESUS is coming, too!

GOD BLESS!