Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday's Scribbles

It is a sweltering, hot, miserable Saturday here in Iowa.  The temperatures have been in the high 80"s to low 90's, the dew points in the high 70's and the heat index?  Up to 110.  Seriously?? Sadly, this is happening across a lot of our country.  You know it is hot when a friend in Mesa tells us her weather is not so bad compared to here!  Ugh....

This weather reminds me of the hot summer nights growing up.  When the heat upstairs became unbearable, we used to bring sheets down and lay them on the living room floor so we could get the outside breezes that came through the open windows and screen door.   No air conditioning and only one fan meant for a few restless nights. When we lived off base in the Philippines, we had only a window air conditioner for our bedroom.  Otherwise we had fans to help move the hot and humid air around the house. It was miserable at times, especially during the monsoon season.  The sheets always felt wet, our clothes felt damp. and even the kids wooden puzzles split from the humidity.  We also lived in many parsonages over the years and not one had central air.  We are so grateful for central air in our home now, and can't imagine living without it!

As I write this I am saddened once again to speak about Friday's attack in Munich Germany. The Baton Rouge officers being shot and killed last Sunday morning.  Today at least 80 killed in Kabul by ISIS during a peaceful protest.  Endless violence.  Yeah.....I don't know what more to say.  I don't begin to think I have any answers.  I can only turn to Papa God in prayer.  He alone has the power.........

Our neighbor likes to feed the deer.  You can look over across the street and see deer and squirrels munching on the ears of corn he has tossed into his yard.  It does not stay in his yard, though.  We now have  voluntary corn trying to grow in our yard that we mow down each week.  I am not crazy about the critters that gather.  Ticks and all.  Joel likes watching them....this week it has been a doe and her fawn.

I picked up an African Violet at the store Wednesday.  Our niece Becky had shared photos of her's that actually came from Joel's mom several years ago.  Mom T. could grow the most amazing violets!  Seeing one in the store brought this memory rushing back once again, so I picked up a small one to grace our table.  I have not done so well with them in the past but I am hoping I can nurture this one!


It has been to hot and humid to walk much, too hot and humid to cook much, too hot and humid to be outside on the porch much.  We have tightened down the hatches and are writing, reading, watching TV, cleaning,  and venturing out into other chilly buildings only when necessary.  We are still searching for a new laptop for me since mine is on it's last leg, as my mom would have said. We had friends for supper one night and caught up on each other's adventures.  I am still reading the same books as last week and still spending too much time resting.  Joel is filling in at churches 3 Sundays in July and all of August so he drives at least an hour one way to do so.  He likes to preach so that is the draw.  He did get a couple bike rides in. We continue to enjoy summer in the Midwest in spite of the weather.  Winter will come soon enough.  What have you been up to?

Until next time...............


1 comment:

Breathing In Grace said...

So sorry I haven't visited in a bit...just wanted to stop and and say hello. HOPE you're feeling better. I'm not a fan of heat and humidity, either. I managed a walk this morning, but oh, my, came home drenching wet. Not very feminine, I'm afraid. LOL I'll try my best to do better in my visiting. Happy Monday to you.