Friday, January 20, 2017

A Day of Transition

Today president-elect Donald Trump will be sworn in as our next President.  President Obama and his family will leave the White House for the last time as the sitting President and family.  As I watch the morning news coverage, I am hearing about those who will not attend, those who will......Those who plan to protest.  What we will be watching is a transition from one man elected by the people for another.

Before I share my thoughts, I want to state clearly, I NEVER share how we vote in any election.  We have never felt comfortable doing so because of Joel being a pastor in a place of authority in the church.  He has never used the pulpit to give his agenda on politics.  It is not our way.

Recently I listened to a powerful sermon given by Bill Johnson at Bethel Church.  He talked about the transition that would be taking place, and stated........."I have always prayed for our President and those in government leadership.  I have prayed for God to use them and guide them.  I prayed for Reagan.  I prayed for Carter.  I prayed for Bush.  I prayed for Clinton.  I prayed for Bush.  I prayed for Obama.  I am praying for Trump."  He bases this on 1 Timothy 2: 1-3

"Therefore I tell you first of all 
that supplications, prayers, intercessions,
 and giving thanks be made for all men.
For kings and all who are in authority,
that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life 
in a godliness and reverence. 
 For this is good and acceptable 
in the sight of God our Savior."


Pastor Bill Johnson is expressing the importance of being obedient to God.  His prayers are not for certain presidents to mend their ways, or change, or be removed from office.....or for others to be in powerful positions.........his petitions are from a desire to be obedient to God, knowing this brings peace.  Our words have power.   Our prayers have power.

We certainly see that things have changed in our country.  We have never before heard such hate spoken against our president ~ Obama~  and against our new president~ Trump.  I have never before seen such disrespect shown for those in the highest office of our country.  The freedom of speech has turned into a social media of hatred expressed.  It has at times horrified us.  And this year.....wow....IF you say your voted for Clinton you can expect strong words spoken against you.  If you say you voted for Trump you can have strong words spoken against you.  Speculation rises, but whatever the causes, it is our loss.  Our deep loss on how to treat others.

There is a political "spirit" that has entered in and divided families, friends, neighbors, cities, states, our country. It has risen on the waves of anger and hatred and it has brought with it a loss of love and hope.

We cannot let it continue.  It begins with us, what we say, how we act.  We can share our opinions, our thoughts, our actions, with love.  And we also receive the words of others with love.  We look to God for His guidance and we choose to live with integrity and an open heart.

So today, like Bill Johnson,  we will pray for our president just as we have for others during our adult lives. We will respect the office and pray for those in authority over our country.  From the local level, to the state level, to the highest office in our country.  We pray.  We pray and we look to God.

No comments: