With all the latest technology at our beck and call, we had known about the coming ice storm practically before it formed. For days we were told to prepare for a major ice, sleet, rain, and snow event. We watched it raise havoc across the plains with damage to trees, property, and human life.
We did what we could to get ready......enough water~ ck. candles~ ck. bananas~ck. (ok, that may sound weird but we get a bit crabby when we are out of bananas!) We planned on not leaving the house on Monday and settled in for the wait.
For us the freezing rain started after midnight and continued.....and continued....until late Monday night. It could be worse. The roads are thick with ice and standing water in places too. All schools cancelled. No travel unless necessary. Still, it could be worse. We did not lose power in town, there was little wind and under an 1/8 inch of ice I think, so the branches are still all attached to the trees!
It could have been worse. I think this is a phrase that somehow brings comfort to us..........whether in a ice storm or a storm of circumstances. Things could be worse. And I just need to say it.........things could be better too. And how about the phrase, "It is what it is". I find those five words to be depressing for me. When hit hard with a storm in life I don't want to hear or find myself saying, "It is what it is." Back to the storms..............
Just how do we prepare for the storms in life? The kind that make us weak in the knees. Unfortunately, we often do not have prior warning of what is coming. Something blindsides us. Smack. So it might just be a good idea to always be prepared for the storms. Not in a fatalistic way, nor expecting the worst....but just knowing that the enemy would like nothing better than to hit us hard and lay us flat. He works at it, believe you me.
So we prepare ahead of time. We put on the full armor of God.
1. Helmet of Salvation ~ ck. We take care of that need for salvation. Eternal life is ours!
2. Breastplate of Righteousness~ ck. We know we are sons and daughters of the KING!
3. Belt of Truth ~ ck. We wear it to hold everything up. The Truth....His Truth!
4. Shoes of Peace, Good news~ ck. Where does our peace come from? From Jesus and His Word.
5. Shield of Faith ~ ck. Keep it with you at all times....stopping the fiery arrows of the devil.
6. Sword of the Spirit ~ ck. His Word is powerful....Use it like a weapon!
7. Prayer ~ ck. Pray without ceasing.......
8. Adding to the list..........Rest.~ ck. Stay calm and let Him fight for us!!
These weapons prevent, prepare, protect.
And lets not forget the name of Jesus........the blood of Jesus........Scriptures declared.......and Praise! All of this helps us be ready for the storms that come............or try to come against us. God has not left us vulnerable. No, He has not. He has given us ways to prepare and stand firm and He fights for us. It could be worse.........and with the list above it will be a whole lot better!!!