Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cultivating Gratitude

Recently I listened to a pastor talk about having an "attitude of gratitude".  We have all heard this little phrase, in fact I expect we may grow weary of  hearing it at times.  I confess, I wondered if I would  learn anything new on the topic.  After all, how many ways are there to talk about gratitude and thanksgiving?  But once again God opened my heart to treasures of His truth, and we all know it is the truth that sets us free, is it not ?

Daniel Armrudtz spoke about how the attitude of gratitude and thanksgiving is a powerful tool against the enemy.  The one who comes to steal, kill, and destroy hates praise and grateful hearts because this attitude leaves him powerless.  Powerless.  So an attitude of gratitude can become our voice of faith, give us strength and protect us as part of the armor of God! There were quite a few insights tossed my way, and the teaching I felt would be a yawner had me scribbling down notes to reflect on later.  Humble pie.  There is always something more God desires for us learn. 

This teaching coincided with another I watched where a woman shared that she sets her alarm on her phone to go off throughout the day as a reminder to stop and worship God for a few minutes.  So I decided this year to do the same during Lent, as a reminder of God's gift of a Savior. Every hour throughout the day and evening my phone alarm plays a few musical notes to remind me to stop, look up, and give thanks. I have been surprised first of all, by how quickly the hours go by!  At times I have been annoyed with the alarm and it's interruptions, but I have been truly delighted  by the added joy I am experiencing during this Lenten practice.  So much so, that I have decided to keep going after Easter. It is a great reminder of where my focus needs to be ~~blessing the Lord Oh my soul!

In giving thanks we are cultivating our relationship with God and proclaiming ~ We love you Lord! We give you glory!  The Bible tells us to give thanks in all things.  And we do that because we know the answer to all of life's problems is found in the One who's name is above all names....Jesus. 

God had much more He wanted to teach me that day I tuned in to yet "another teaching" on thanksgiving.  He loves us too much to leave us where we are at and for that I am grateful!  Now I better sign off as my phone alarm is singing!  Honestly, it is!  Time to go cultivate an attitude of praise and thanksgiving to an amazing God! 

No comments: