Friday, August 8, 2014

Dakota Plains, Sunflowers, and People

South Dakota Sunflower Field

South Dakota has its own beauty to share with those who cross over its borders.  In the western part of the state you find ranches, the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, the Black Hills, and more.  In the areas we drove through along the eastern border and into the north,  the wheat fields shimmer in relentless wind and the sunflowers lift their heads in praise to the God who created sunshine.  My cowboy preacher kept saying, "I love watching the wheat fields wave in the wind".  You can almost visualize the native American tribes that called the Dakotas home long ago, riding across the land. 

I am not sure of all the reasons, but I enjoy this area of the country very much.  Maybe it is because as a child I lived in more than one part of the state, maybe it is because my dear sister has called South Dakota home for so many years.  Maybe it is because Joel blends in with his western wear, or because it reminds me of Montana, which we both still miss at times.  The correct answer in this multiple choice question I present  is probably ~~  "all of the above". 

 We have lived in big cities like Albuquerque NM, St Paul MN, and Salt Lake City Utah. We have lived in towns that were so small you would miss them if you blinked.  We have lived in a third world country where our "American " prosperity was evident with each child who dug through our garbage for scraps.     There is beauty to be found in them all.  If not in the town than in the area or the people who grace your presence. 

I feel sorry for those who have no understanding of the life that vibrates outside a big city.  Those who believe that by living in a densely populated area you are somehow better, smarter, or more cultured than those who choose to walk the red dirt of Uganda, the paved street of a small town, or the ranch land out West.  There is so much beauty to behold in all God's creation. 

But I digress...........

Renee and Jan
Sisters being Sisters

Today, as I gaze out my window at the view in my small Iowa backyard, I am missing the plains of another place.  I am missing those who line the end of their bed with cowboy boots and fill your plate with Akaushi steak and corn.  I am missing sisters talking for hours, dancing through the kitchen, holding hands as they visit or pray for each other.   I am missing the deep connection of family, and the love and laughter that fills the air with palpable joy.   And I am so thankful I am able to venture out of my corner of the world, my home, and see all that God has created.  There is so much beauty to behold!

No comments: