Wednesday, October 28, 2015

A Patient Clerk, A Rude Customer, and A Doll

Poor Randy.  We feel so sorry for him. Maybe we should buy him a coffee....a muffin.....or even give him a gift card!

Who is Randy?  Randy is a big guy in his 50's, maybe 6'3" tall, hefty, and easy going.  Well, at least while on the job as far as we know.  He works at a local furniture store here in town and we ran into him the other day.  Or it may be more appropriate to say he ran into us.  Okay, okay, he ran into me.......

It was while he was working hard to find me the perfect recliner that my husband gave me the stink eye and commented on my attitude.  We can only recall one other time that this has happened in 47 years.  Joel's words caught me by surprise because I had no clue my attitude was bad.  I was being one of those difficult, annoying crabby people that treat clerks with disrespect.

And I had no clue.  Honestly, no clue until Joel whispered to me, "Missy, you are being so rude!"

Huh?

I immediately lassoed my tongue and attitude.  It is just not usually me, but lately some anger has come up, and I've been irritable and not so nice when stressed.  And everything seems to be stressing me.

So, now you see why we need to be bringing clerk Randy a peace offering.

Around that time I received a package in the mail from our oldest, Bethany, and her family.  I read the card first.  On the outside it said......

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade".

Inside it said....

"But when life hands you a load of crap, 
don't make anything.
Trust me on this one."

In the package was a cloth, tightly stuffed "Dammit Doll".  On the front was a little poem to go with the doll.  It said,

"Whenever  things don't go so well,
And you want to hit the wall and yell,
Here's a little Dammit Doll
That you can't do without.
Just grasp it firmly by the legs,
And find a place to slam it.
And as you whack the stuffing out,
Yell dammit, dammit, dammit!"


Joel and I had a good laugh over the doll, and tears for the personal words written by the family.  I'm thinking that releasing my hidden anger over my circumstances is a good thing.  I'm not sure if slamming the doll is my way to do it, but in my mind I'm thinking maybe Randy needs one for those rude customers he has to deal with.  Maybe instead of coffee I need to buy him his own "Dammit Doll"!

No comments: